The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Program offers recent doctoral graduates a stipend and assistance in further developing advanced research skills and training to produce significant scholarship early in their careers.
Graduates who complete the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work PhD program in four years are encouraged to apply.
To be considered for the postdoctoral fellowship, graduates must submit an application with the following:
- Letter of intent addressed to the chair of the PhD program
- Letter of recommendation from the graduate’s dissertation faculty chair
- Most recent curriculum vitae and biographical profile (1-2 paragraphs)
- Research statement and plan, including training, publications, grants/funding, conferences and proposed timeline of activities
Please submit your application to the PhD program by the first Friday in March. Current students must adhere to the spring or summer submission deadlines required by the Graduate School.
The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work provides funding directly to the applicant in the academic year of the award. Payment will be disbursed in monthly stipends paid over 11 months (August through June) and includes health service fees and insurance. Funding is supplemental to other awards, including federal or non-federal fellowship stipends.
Fellowship recipients must be in residence full-time at the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work for the duration of the award period. Awards cannot be transferred from the designated faculty research mentor to another mentor without prior written approval from the chair. Additionally, fellows will meet these obligations:
- Notify the program chair regarding any changes in status or sponsored research.
- Devote at least 95 percent of time, or 37.5 hours, to the research project on which the submitted proposal is based. Recipient may receive or provide research training and participate in academic functions within the Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, but may not undertake other substantial responsibilities during the award cycle.
- Submit quarterly progress reports to the chair and designated faculty research mentor starting in September, which are due by the fourth Friday of each quarter for the duration of the award cycle.
Fellows must acknowledge the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work in any presentations or publications resulting from research performed during the award cycle. Please forward copies of each abstract, presentation, manuscript, publication and review to the school’s PhD program.
At the conclusion of the award cycle, fellows must submit the Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award Program Final Scientific Report by June 30. The two-page report should summarize the research performed during the award cycle, including actual results and their significance, publications, manuscripts, grants/funding, as well as any pending or planned applications for additional research funding, and be signed by the faculty research mentor.